You are here
Mental Health Month
May is Mental Health Month 2017
MHA will tie this year’s Mental Health Month theme to the content of its 2017 Annual Conference: Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll. The MHM campaign is titled Risky Business, and will educate the public on habits and behaviors that increase the risk of developing or exacerbating mental illnesses, or could be signs of mental health problems themselves. These include such diverse risk factors such as risky sex, prescription drug misuse, internet/gaming addiction, excessive spending, marijuana use, and troublesome exercise patterns.
The intent behind this theme is to raise awareness of the risks that these types of behaviors present—especially to young people—to help individuals detect these early warning signs, and to provide resources for prevention and early intervention.
By using the toolkit materials, you will help members of your community:
- Understand how certain seemingly common behaviors are risk factors for, or indicators of mental health or substance use disorders;
- Start talking about mental health Before Stage 4;
- Assess their own mental health through use of MHA's screening tools; and
- Share their perceptions of when a behavior becomes risky, learn about the perceptions of others, and learn about accepted guidelines for when a behavior becomes indicative of a mental health or substance use disorder by taking the "What's Too Far"" quiz.
This year's toolkit includes:
- Key Messages
- Sample Press Release
- Drop-In Article
- May is Mental Health Month Proclamation
Social Media and Web Components
- Sample Facebook and Twitter Posts
- Facebook Profile and Cover Images
- Twitter Profile and Header Images
- Additional Image for Sharing
- "What's Too Far?" Quiz Call to Action Image
- Horizontal Banner Image
- Vertical Banner Image
Fact Sheets and Other Handouts
- Fact Sheet - Risky Business: Marijuana
- Fact Sheet - Risky Business: Prescription Drug Misuse
- Fact Sheet - Risky Business: Exercise
- Fact Sheet - Risky Business: Sex
- Fact Sheet - Risky Business: Compulsive Buying
- Fact Sheet - Risky Business: Internet Addiction
- May is Mental Health Month Wellness Tips Poster
- Worksheet: Filling the Void
- Worksheet: A Letter to Risky Business
Thank you for your ongoing commitment to address mental illness Before Stage 4.
Complete the form and when you hit "submit," you'll be taken to the page where you can download materials. Please bookmark the download page so that you can return as much as you'd like without having to re-submit the form.
MHA will dive deeper into risky behaviors and how they affect mental health at our 2017 Annual Conference: Sex, Drugs, and Rock & Roll. To learn from experts in the field about how you can reach out to your community about mental health and risky business, register here!
Download the 2016 toolkit here.
Discover what people say mental illness feels like.
Download the 2015 toolkit here.
Download the entire toolkit in a zipped folder.